Health and fitness experts never fail to remind us that as much as possible, to eat organic foods. We are what we eat. Nowadays, more and more health problems are primarily caused by what we ingest. In the midst of a busy life, finding time to eat healthily is becoming more of a task. This is why there are now plenty of stores – whether online or at a physical store, that has a particular aisle for organic products.
But what does ‘organic’ really mean?
When you say ‘organic’ this is the way agricultural products are grown and being processed. These organic crops should be grown without the use of any synthetic pesticides, petroleum-based fertilizers, bioengineered genes or GMOs, as well as sewage sludge-based fertilizers. When it comes to organic livestock that is raised for meat, dairy, and egg products, they must have free access to the outdoors. Also, they should be given organic feeds only. This organic livestock should not be given antibiotics, any type of growth hormones, and also animal by-products.
Benefits of Buying Organic Food Online
You know that these days, the internet is the source of almost everything. In fact, many individuals are now using the power of the internet to do their groceries! This is why there are now websites that sell organic food online. So here are the benefits of organic foods that you should be aware of:
- They Contain Fewer Pesticides. Organic produce is grown without the use of chemicals like herbicides, fungicides, as well as insecticides. These harmful chemicals are widely used especially in conventional agriculture. They can remain in the food that we eat. But with organic produce, we do not have to worry about these hazardous chemicals.
- GMO-Free Products. GMO means Genetically Modified Organisms or genetically engineered foods. These are plants where its DNA was purposely altered in a way that does not naturally occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding. This is done so that plants will be resistant to pesticides or they produce their own insecticides.
- Fresher Produce. Organic produce is often fresher. Simply because they do not contain any preservatives that can make it last longer. This is why they are often produced on smaller farms and are sold quickly because many people would prefer them compared to those with preservatives.
- Organic Farming Is Environment-Friendly. You have always been taught to preserve the environment. Now you should be aware that chemicals and preservatives that are used in conventional agriculture can have a detrimental effect on the environment. But with organic farming, these practices are reduced. There is less pollution, water is conserved, lesser soil erosion, they use less energy, yet they increase soil fertility.
- Organic Products Are Richer In Nutrients. According to a European study in 2016, organic farming produces products that have higher levels of nutrients. For example, the omega-3 fatty acids are higher by 50% in organic milk and meat compared to those that are conventionally raised.
Yes, organic food can be more expensive but they are worth those extra bucks that you spend. Just take a look at the benefits that you can enjoy as mentioned above. For sure, they are worth it. Spending a little bit more on food that is safe and healthy for our body is definitely a good choice not only for you and your family but also for the environment.